Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Simplicity

Micah 6:8
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good;
and what doth the Lord require of thee,
but to do justly, and to love mercy,
and to walk humbly with thy God.

Happy New Year One and All! 
     I join with many to welcome this new year and to anticipate a new year of learning and growing.

We are just back from a trip to Gatlinburg, TN.  We had a great time visiting Cades Cove - the remains of an early 1800's settlement in the foothills of the Smokey Mountains, a drive through the Great Smokey Mountains National Park - including snow at the higher elevations, some wonderful food at the Applewood Restaurant and a Thai place in Pigeon Forge ... and just roaming through lots of stores and enjoying time together.  I particularly like the stores with simple, country decorations - you know, the ones that anyone could make at home with a piece of wood and a little paint, or some fabric and some glue!  A recurring sign appears ... 'Simplicity'.  It must be on the minds of many people.  I think perhaps the greatest lesson that we have been learning is to value simplicity. We have been challenged this year to live on less and to give more,  ... makes no sense, but it is one that keeps our life simple ... the result - we are more focused and less distracted than ever before ... and God has blessed and multiplied as we have never experienced first-hand before.

We named The Parkway through Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Sevierville "Vanity Fair" as we drove through one night.  The signs screamed 'entertainment', 'spend your money here', 'Don't miss this!'  Why?  Mankind wants to drown out the voice of God - it is fearful to a lost world or the backslidden Christian to be left alone to think.  This is evident everywhere - movies, restaurants, large screen tvs, the newest and best video gaming systems.  We are a "connected," "plugged-in" society.  I must say that I have this tendency, but am beginning to value the quiet.  We spent a VERY quiet Christmas in NC this year ... it was just the two of us, the meal was prepared the day before, and there was much time to focus on the true meaning of the holiday.  I LOVED IT! 

As we prepare for full time ministry, we often think about the path of the church.  Is it not following the same path away from simplicity?  Must we entertain to share the gospel?  Must we have the most decorative visual aids and handouts?  Do we need a piano, an organ (or electric keyboard), and a small orchestra to magnify the Lord in song?  Of course the answer is no!  There is nothing wrong with a well-orchestrated service, with oder, with beauty, with well-made visuals and handouts, and with God honoring music - but is the worship of God lost in it all? 

So, if I were to make a resolution for this year ... it would be to emphasize simplicity.  Simplicity when I worship the Lord privately and corporately so that He is honored and so that I can hear Him speak, simplicity in my schedule so that God's priorities are my priorities, simplicity when I open my home to others so that it is not something to be feared and dreaded, simplicity in my eating and exercise so I can maintain discipline, simplicity in my belongings so that they don't rule my life. 

What are you working on this week, this month, or this year?  Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I like to ride my motorcycle through the Great Smoky Mountains. It makes for a wonderful day. Read more at http://www.sightseeingreview.com/greatsmokymountainnationalpark.php

    ReplyDelete