Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Open Mouth ... Insert Foot

Oh, I am going to be laughing about this one for awhile.  It is magnified by the fact that this time it is not me with my foot in my mouth, but rather a person who is involved in Public Relations day in and day out!

I always head to school with hubbers on Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays and then stay for chapel.  I did so today and then decided that since there were missions displays and representatives in the gym that I would spend an hour there until hubby could drive me home (usually I just walk home).  I chatted with many lovely people promoting church planting out west, deaf ministries, and printing ministries.  As I turned from one display, there was a representative who greeted me with: "you are not as young as many of the girls here!"  Yes, he really said that.  I graciously admitted that I was an older student wife.  He followed this with: "You must have young children!"  Really, he did.  While this is a typical question/statement it is really quite heartless to a woman struggling with her infertility who was just told that she was old.  Had it not been so comical, I might have burst out crying.  Upon relaying the story to hubby, he replied, "the only way he could have made it worse was to comment on your weight!"

2 comments:

  1. Later today at his home - "I just can't figure out why I have such a hard time recruiting people to serve in our ministry. People just aren't interested in ministry anymore." I know there are times that we are all insensitive in one way or another, but he really made a big opening for his foot. I'm glad you could see the comical aspect.

    ReplyDelete