Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

SAHW

Do you recognize the acronym?  It is my job title.  Stay-at-Home-Wife.  While not as common as its counterpart (SAHM - Stay-at-Home-Mom), it is nevertheless my title.  After researching the title, it seems that the world has a negative view, for the most part, of my job.  While a SAHM is honorable and busy with the duties of wife and mother, a SAHW is often viewed as a soap opera-watching, bon-bon eating diva.  Perhaps that is why you don't hear of many SAHWs.  I must say that it is sometimes hard to "admit" to my job because of the common response, "well, what do you do all day."  My response internally is often, "How could I fit another job in?" 

I love my job.  I am my husband's wife and confidant.  I am a teaching consultant.  I am a church pianist.  I am a chef.  I am a baker.  I am a housekeeper.  I am an accountant.  I am a personal shopper.  I am a gardener and lawn keeper.  I am a painter (at least of large walls without detail).  I am a writer.  I am a secretary.  I am a nutritionist (though sometimes I ignore my own teaching) and menu planner.  I am a teacher.  I am a decorator.  I am a playmate with special interest in tree climbing and worms.  I am a student.  I am a seamstress.  I am a webmistress.  I am a designer.  I am a cheerleader.  I am a "think tank."  I am an aspiring violinist.  I am a motivational speaker.

I love the variety that my job gives me.  One day I may be working in the yard.  The next day I might be writing curriculum.  The next I might be babysitting.

I am sure that there are those SAHWs with a chocolate stash and a pile of DVDs, but I hope that you will give those SAHWs that you hear about the benefit of the doubt.  It is certainly the most satisfying job I have ever had.
 

1 comment:

  1. I was regularly asked what I did all day whilst raising five littles...back in the day.
    *sigh*
    It is a question that I would never think to ask anyone. Always puzzled me.

    ReplyDelete