Pages

Monday, March 4, 2013

Truly Vegetable Pizza

So I mentioned on Friday that I was attempting a new pizza crust.
I was on the Detoxinista website and found this recipe.
It is cauliflower pizza crust.
I went shopping as usual on Friday and picked up the ingredients.
I do not particularly care for cauliflower so I don't usually have it on hand.
I was shocked by the price of the goat cheese, 
but splurged and vowed to research other options.
Cauliflower Pizza Crust
makes 1 large crust
Ingredients:
4 cups raw cauliflower rice
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup soft goat cheese (chevre)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
pinch of salt

With fear and trepidation, 
I followed the recipe.
The house didn't smell that great while I cooked the riced cauliflower.
I set the finished product before my chief taste tester.
He ate and ate and ate.
I asked if he liked his pizza. 
With one of his What are you feeding me now looks
he said "Yes - it is GREAT, Why?"
I divulged my secret.
The surprise - 
He told me that I could stop looking for gluten free pizza crust recipes - 
I had found "THE ONE!"

I have since searched for different options and it appears that any grated cheese 
 or perhaps even ricotta or cottage cheese can be substituted for the goat cheese.  
The herb flavored goat cheese was really good though and may be hard to beat.
It seems traditional to "rice" the cauliflower, but it can be precooked or left raw.
Do a little google search of your own and surprise your family.
So many choices - so little time :)

Tomorrow I am making dairy free mac and cheese for my little friend.
It is made with "cashew cheese."
Always a cooking adventure these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment