Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Sugar Free?

I have learned A LOT about alternative diets.
Gluten-free, Cassein-free, aluminum free, non-gmo ... 
Hubby recently asked me to make cookies for a diabetic friend.
I began my search for sugar free recipes.
I am not a fan of sugar substitutes.
They make me leery health wise and I don't care for the aftertaste.
Then hubby told me that he had promised the famous "no bakes."

Did hubby realize that sugar is what makes a no-bake cookie?

So I searched further.

There are actually a lot of recipes out there for "healthy" no-bakes.
I left the recipe that included TVP (textured vegetable protein).
I ignored the ones with no peanut butter.
In the end, I settled on the recipe below.
It uses Stevia (sweetleaf) for sweetener.
Sweetleaf is a natural herb that is much sweeter than sugar.
It has no calories and is not supposed to affect glucose levels in diabetics.

1 med banana mashed
4 oz unsweetened applesauce
1/2 c milk
1/2 c stevia 
(not the blend with sugar, but the one the one that measures like sugar)
4 Tbsp butter or coconut oil
3 TBSP cocoa
2 1/2 c oats
3 TBSP Peanut butter
1 Tbsp vanilla 

They are much softer than the normal cookies and not as flat.  
They seem more like a protein bite.
Hopefully they will please the coworker.



No comments:

Post a Comment