Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Cashew Cheese

I am constantly amazed at how creative people with food allergies become.
I was not sure one year ago how life would be with gluten allergies.
I imagined life with no bread, no donuts, no bagels, no pasta ...
I just had no knowledge of anything rice based, quinoa based, or even corn based.
I had no knowledge of corn flour, almond flour, rice flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, potato flour ...
The diet started poorly, but with knowledge, the experience has improved.
In fact, the food often "tastes" better because I know that it will not make hubby sick.

Last week, I made dinner for my little friend who needs to avoid gluten and dairy.
For a big-time milk drinker and cheese eater, this is a difficulty.
His mom told me about mac and cheese made with "cashew cheese."
Cheese made from cashews?
Who would have thought it?
Someone was determined beyond belief to come up with a substitute for the dairy in mac and cheese!

corn pasta, cashews, nutritional yeast --- easy prep in blender

The recipe is found here.
I was a little skeptical, but made it last week for him and his family.
I was AMAZED.
It was really good.

Ready for the oven.

And so, tonight I am making it for hubby and me.


No comments:

Post a Comment