Pages

Monday, October 10, 2016

Always Tweaking The Plan

I know, I have not been very faithful,
but I think I have a plan worked out that will give me more time to share with you.
The past months have changed my schedule,
and I have not really thought about all of the "little" things,
so they have been forgotten or pushed to the side.
Over the weekend, I made a schedule to put some of those "little" things back in:
blogging, Hebrew lessons, piano practice, hand lettering, more snail mail ...

My schedule was not the only thing that needed tweaking.
After nearly 16 months on a repeated 30 day eating plan,
we were getting bored.
Back to the drawing board.

We had learned so much on the plan and our bodies had responded so well.
I loved the simplicity of shopping and cooking to meet my caloric needs.
Hubby responded well to less processed food and had a much improved allergy season.
How could we improve it?

My plan was to take our 7 favorite breakfasts and cycle through them.
Take 7-9 favorite lunches and cycle through them.
The variety would come through dinner.
I am now back to searching the internet for new favorites,
or revamping and revisiting old ones.

Last week, we enjoyed Cheeseburger Pie from the Alpha-Bakery Cookbook
put out by Gold Medal Flour.
Of course, I tweaked the crust recipe for our Gluten-free diet,
but it was just as good as we remembered.

One of our new favorites is Philly Cheese Stuffed Peppers.
I tweaked the recipe to use a few less mushrooms - 
and Steak-umm for the flank steak.
Did you know that Steak-umm is 100% beef?
I was shocked.

Philly Cheese Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

2 green bell peppers
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1 (4-ounce) container baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 tablespoon minced garlic
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces Steak-umm
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
8 slices provolone cheese or mozzerella

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400° F. 
Spray an 11x7-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, set aside.
Boil green pepper halves in water 2-4 minutes.  Drain.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion and peppers have softened.  Add Steak-umm to the skillet.  Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and cook for 2 to 4 minutes. 
Place the green bell pepper halves open side up in baking dish. Line the inside of each pepper half with slice of cheese.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer ½ cup of the flank steak mixture to each bell pepper half.
Top each pepper with the remaining ½ slice of provolone cheese.
Bake the peppers for 10 minutes in preheated oven until cheese is melted.



No comments:

Post a Comment