Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Wise Woman

The fear of the Lord
   is the beginning of wisdom.
      ~ Proverbs 9:10a
                                 Every wise woman buildeth her house:
                                     but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.
                                         ~ Proverbs 14:1

This week's study in Created to Be His Helpmeet was on wisdom.  The Bible says that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  The author challenged the reader to trust God and to believe his Word.  It is easy to read of God's plan for the family, and then to find our "out," our excuse, the exception that God "forgot" to record in His Word.  God lays out in His Word that I was created to be a helpmeet and that I am to honor, submit, and revere m y husband ... no exceptions.  If I rest in God's design, I can also rest in the results of my obedience.

Just this week, I failed a test in this area - one that will most likely make you laugh, but it shows the humility and the strength of God that we need.  I grew up eating cookie dough - yum!  Hubby grew up concerned about salmonella and raw eggs.  He has asked me repeatedly (to my shame) not to eat cookie dough.  I fell again this week while making some whole wheat chocolate cookies.  I took a bite and looked up to find him looking disappointedly at me.  I had failed to honor his request.  I apologized and prayed for strength and determination to do better in all areas of submission.
    
Disobedience to God's plan has consequences.  My actions and reactions will reap blessing or cursing.  God wants me to be a helper, not a conscience or my family's spiritual leader.  I can practice joy and gratitude in my position or practice anger and bitterness.  True godly fear will keep me on the right path - fearing God's judgment of my sin, recognizing that God fights for those who fear Him, and knowing that it is a step to wisdom.  Fearing God is work, a choice, but it is a treasure with the reward of riches, honor, life, peace, and satsfaction.

4 comments:

  1. if you use ground flax seeds to substitute for the eggs, you can eat your cookie dough and honor your husband at the same time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously, i'm glad that you desire to honor your husband's wishes. may God grant you the "will and do" for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with the hubs re/ the raw stuff.
    Good post...good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Chris that salmonella & raw eggs is what they fed us in the marines and it's never affected me! ok, well maybe a little! Your point is well-taken. david

    ReplyDelete