Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

More Green Tomato Recipes

Well, the Green Tomato Pie was edible.  I offered hubby a piece and he was a bit reluctant, but after a bite, he agreed that it was good.  We both had some texture issues with it, but managed to eat the whole pie in the last few days.

I did a search for green tomato recipes this morning.  Seems that they should be fried (not going to happen in this house), or pickled, or made into some sort of relish.  I did find a recipe for Green Tomato Bread here and I think that I will try it.  Currently I have some green pulp in the blender and I will need to drain it and then set to work.

Green Tomato Bread

1/2 c oil
8 oz plain yogurt
3 egg
2 c sugar
2 c green tomatoes, pureed and drained
2 c all purpose flour
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves

Preheat oven to 350*. Grease two loaf pans. Combine oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar, and green tomatoes and mix well. Combine all purpose flours, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and add to wet ingredients. Stir together just until combined. Divide between two pans and bake just until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the bread, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pans, then remove. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. May be frozen.  (puree may also be frozen for use at a later date)
I need to bake some more everyday bread today as well.  I made a turkey on Friday and a fresh loaf of bread Saturday and we have really enjoyed hot turkey sandwiches!  I also have a pile of laundry from the church prophet's chamber along with farm clothes to tend to.  It is supposed to be warm for a few days, but at least the nights are cool!  I will let you know how the bread turned out after we have tried it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment