Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Old Fashioned Popcorn

So I am a little slow learning this lesson.
In our efforts to "clean up" our eating, 
hubby asked me to try to avoid the microwave except for reheating leftovers,
so I decided to venture from my cozy realm of microwave popcorn on Saturday night.
I broke out the cast iron soup pot,
the coconut oil,
the pop corn kernels,
and some nutritional yeast flakes.


I googled what to do ...
and it was as easy as the websites said.
I burned the first batch slightly because I read that it would take 4 minutes.
On the second try, I just watched the popping and it was PERFECT.

I put 2 Tbsp of Coconut oil in the pan and heated the pan over medium high heat.
Then I added 3 kernels to the pan and covered the pot (I have a clear lid which was nice).
When the first kernel popped, I added 1/3 c of popcorn kernels.
I recovered and shook the pan slightly while it popped.
When the popping slowed to 5 sec or more.
I called it done. 

Wondering about the nutritional yeast flakes?
They add a cheesy flavor - but are non-dairy.

I was amazed that it took less time on the stove than microwave popcorn.
I had less unpopped kernels than in the microwave.
I did not have to add any butter or additional oil after cooking.
It also did not have "fly-aways" like air popped (though it does have the downfall of using oil).

Hubby really liked it.
... and I am hooked too!

1 comment:

  1. We are using the air popper again. Avoiding the "stuff" in the microwave type. Glad we kept the popper. It had been stored for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete