Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Company We Keep

Proverbs 13:20 
He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: 
but a companion of fools shall be destroyed.

You have seen it ...
the preteen girls who talk and dress like one another,
the siblings who look nothing alike, and yet you know they are related,
the husband and wife who start to look alike.
"We become like the company we keep."

While this proverb is not written solely to women,
I believe that women probably struggle the hardest with it.
Women typically desire many close friends.
Women generally have a hard time ending destructive friendships.
Women often have a harder time confronting sin.

But the principle is clear;
if I want to be wise (and I do),
I need to surround myself with wise women.
They will encourage,
rebuke,
challenge,
and keep me on the right path.

The alternative is not so promising.
If I am not discerning in my friendships,
I face destruction.

The task will not be easy.
Check out what Solomon saw:
 Ecclesiastes 7:28 
"...Which yet my soul seeketh, but I find not: 
one man among a thousand have I found; 
but a woman among all those have I not found."


No comments:

Post a Comment