Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

Menu Monday

Part of simplifying my life has been to simplify my view of food and meal preparation.  When hubby and I married, I thought a meal had to be meat, a starch (rice, noodles, potatoes), a vegetable ... possibly bread, a salad ...  You get the idea.  Not only that, but I thought I was a terrible wife if I repeated any meal within a month's time ... Crazy!  This month, I am making a plan for one week and using it 4 times to cover the month.  Yes, I have hubby's blessing and so far he is enjoying the idea.  It has already saved much time and even money at the store.  The week includes a bean night, a breakfast night, chicken one night, ground beef one evening, fish, and Italian (spaghetti or homemade pizza).  Sunday is usually a Crock-pot meal.

The switch to a bean-based meal was perhaps the hardest and most of you know why.  Most men just LOVE meat, and hubby was no different.  So the key to the switch was finding bean dishes with good seasoning.  Lentil tacos was a hit from the beginning, but I recently found another recipe that is quick, easy, and surprised the socks off of me.

Brown Rice and Lentils
2 T butter/margarine
1 sm onion, chopped (1/4 c)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 c dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
1/2 c uncooked brown rice
1 can (14 oz) vegetable or chicken broth
1/4 c water
1/4 tsp red pepper sauce (I don't really measure ... this adds the flavor)
1 med green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 c)
1/2 c shredded mozzarella cheese (opt.)

1.  In 2 qt sauce pan, melt butter over med. heat.  Cook onion and garlic in butter about 3 min, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender.
2. Stir in lentils, rice, broth, water and pepper sauce (I also add the peppers here because I like them to be cooked through).  Heat to boiling; reduce heat.  Cover and simmer about 50 minutes, adding water if necessary, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
3.  Stir in bell pepper.  Sprinkle with cheese. (Optional)

Can you imagine this served with some fresh wheat rolls or bread and a side of green beans? 
Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment