Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

"Fru-fru" Cookies


I am not much for fussing with recipes.  Food is serviceable to me and hubby knows that while it might not always be as pretty as the picture, I do try to make it tasty :)  I had been admiring these cookies for about 2 years and with a church fellowship yesterday, I decided to try my hand at them.  They really look harder than they are ... they are homemade slice and bake cookies ...

Watermelon Slice Cookies

3/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 c flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
Red and green gelfood coloring
1/3 c raisins
1 teaspoon sesame seeds

* In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.  Beat in egg and extract.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt;  gradually add to creamed mixture.  Set aside 1 c of dough.
* Tint remaining dough red; shape into a 3 1/2 inch long log.  Wrap in plastic wrap.  Tint 1/3 c of the reserved dough green; wrap in plastic wrap.  Wrap remaining plain dough.  Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
* On a lightly floured surface, roll plain dough into an 8 1/2 inch x 3 1/2 inch rectangle.  Wrap red log with white dough.  Repeat with green but roll to a 10 x 3 1/2 inch rectangle.  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate overnight.
* Unwrap and cut into 3/16 in slices.  Place 2 in apart onunreased baking sheets.  Cut raisins into small pieces.  Lightly press raisin bits and sesame seeds into red dough to resemble watermelon seeds.
* Bake 350* for 9-11 minutes or until firm.  Immediately cut cookies in half.  Remove to wire racks to cool.


Have you heard of telling the "Wordless Book" with the watermelon?  These would be a great snack for kids after telling the story.  "My heart was black (seeds) with sin, until the Savior came in.  His precious blood (fruit) I know has washed me white (inner rind) as snow.  And in his word I'm told, I'll walk the streets of gold (watermelon blossom).  To grow (green rind)  in Christ each day, I'll read my Bible and pray."


No comments:

Post a Comment