Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Fourth!



Happy 235th Birthday, America! 
We are blessed to live in this,
the greatest nation in the world. 
We have much to be thankful for.




I am enjoying the patriotic music on a Greenville, SC radio station this morning.  I love the marches and the focus on God and country.  The traditional celebration of our nation's birthday consists of family picnics and gatherings.  Ours will be no exception.  Hubby is at work this morning while I clean and prepare food.  Then this evening we will head to church for a picnic (hopefully as the day cools).  I am thinking all things watermelon this morning.  Watermelons were on sale at the local grocery and provided the inspiration for my potluck offerings. 

Creamy Watermelon Pie

1 pkg (3 oz) watermelon jello
1/4 c boiling water
1 carton (12 oz) frozen whipped topping, thawed
2 c cubed seeded watermelon
1 graham crust (9 in)

In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water.  Cool to room temp.
Whisk in whipped topping; fold in watermelon.
Spoon into crust.  Refrigerate 2 hours or until set.

*Update:  this pie was not as good as we expected. 
It was a pretty pie,
but the jello and cool whip were so much sweeter
than the watermelon that in our opinion it was not a keeper!


Fruit Salad with Honey Lime Dressing

1/4 c honey
1/4 c limeade concentrate
2 tsp poppy seeds
1 c halved strawberries
1 c cubed pineapple
1 c fresh blueberries
1 c cubed watermelon
1/4 c slivered almonds, toasted

Combine honey, limeade concentrate and poppy seeds in small bowl.
Combine fruit in serving bowl.
Drizzle with dressing and toss gently to coat.
Sprinkle with the almonds. 
Serve with a slotted spoon.

Update:  This was a good salad for those who like the sweet/tart blend.
And yes, it can be made with any combination of fruits.
I made my salad without the poppy seeds or the almonds.



1 comment:

  1. Mmmm Sandra I never get tired of the recipes you post. You fruit salad here sound wonderful! I'm not a big fan of watermelon, myself. Though it is good and I will eat it when offered, it isn't one of my favorites but I suppose you could mix whatever kind of fruits you want, couldn't you? :-)

    ReplyDelete