Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

More Squash?

I just love the return that you get on a small packet of summer squash seeds.  I love the bushy green plants and the bright vegetables.  I love that this year my beneficial nematodes kept the cut worm away.  I will love it when I figure out an easy way to keep the squash bugs down other than scraping off eggs daily and "squashing" the ones that hatch.  Often times though, the dishes for zucchini and summer squash get monotonous.  We love them grilled, sauteed, thrown in dishes with a tomato base, in squash bread (a delicious coffee cake).  Yet the search continues for recipes.  The other day I made carrot cake and substituted yellow summer squash for the carrots - I only wish that I had had the ingredients for cream cheese icing instead of plain vanilla icing.  I recently found this delicious salad and prepared it for a potluck.  It is very good.

Summer Squash Salad

2 c julienned zucchini
2 c julienned yellow summer squash
1 c diced radish (not in season, so I omitted it)
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 T plus 2 tsps cider vinegar
1 T Dijon mustard
1 T minced fresh parsley (1 tsp dried)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp pepper.

Toss veggies together.  Mix dressing ingredients and shake or blend well.  Pour over veggies.  Cover and refrigerate at least two hours.

On this Woman's Work Wednesday I am planning out a project today that will become a wall decoration as well as repurposing used greeting cards into note cards. 

No comments:

Post a Comment