Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Multitasking

I have met many men who are amazed at the ability of a woman to multitask.  Laundry, meals, cleaning, while answering email or talking on the phone.  I think it is not as great a task as it is sometimes made out to be - the laundry washes itself, the timer on the oven reminds me not to burn the cookies ... you understand.

I was convicted last night as I went for a walk (it was actually almost comfortable at 7:00 in the evening!) that I could do more.  Hubby has been encouraging me to learn Greek.  Did you know that there are 24 different ways to say "the" which all must be memorized?  Cue the whining and complaining.  So I took the 24 articles and their endings on my walk planning to learn 16 (the minimum that he asked of me).  Do you know how many times you can say 24 one syllable "words" in one hour?  It is a lot!  I came home with all 24 learned and ready for constant review this week in order that they might soon be in long-term memory. 

Yes, maybe as a woman I am multitasking in my job as daughter, employee, wife, and/or mother, but am I really taking advantage of every moment.  Could I do better at verse memory?  I can say a verse many times in a 30 minute walk and then review it in the shower.  Could I find more time for personal interaction with the children?  Could I make my exercise a time to play with them?  Could they be more involved in meal preparations?  Could the meals be more thought out or more promptly on the table?  You get the picture ... Maybe you have it under control ... but I am still a Work-in-Progress.

2 comments:

  1. I see where you're coming from with this post. We often do not take advantage of every moment of the day like we could be. I also had some other thoughts about the multi-tasking though. I'm not so sure it is always so great to be trying to do so many things at once...I don't know about others but I find when I try to do more than I can handle at once I often end up doing poorly on all of it rather than just focusing on a few things and do my best at them. Sometimes less really is more. When I feel I'm doing too much, I have to re-prioritize. Ask myself what is more important and what is it I really want to focus on doing my best of a few rather than on how much... just my thoughts though

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, and I am most certainly still a work-in-progress.. :-)

    ReplyDelete