Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Watching

Psalm 32:8
I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go:
I will guide thee with mine eye.

This verse reminds me of my days in the classroom.  Oh, how I would work that first month of school to establish the respect of each child in the room.  I wanted the children to watch me.  I used signs, I whispered, I tested, I corrected until I knew that I had their attention.  Many parents and visitors were amazed that the children seemingly acted properly without any instruction.  No, it was not a lack of instruction, it was that I could "guide them with my eye."

I am rebuked that I am not always watching my God this closely.  He wants to instruct and teach, but so often I am the student staring off into space, the child finding toys in her desk, the child doodling on my homework paper, or the one distracted by another disobedient classmate.  I need to get my eyes where they belong - on my teacher.

2 comments: