Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What is Acceptable?

I have been doing some reading lately.  Mostly books to encourage me to be more Christlike as a woman.  It seems that the overwhelming themes are speech and dress, speech and dress.  I guess these are prevalent struggles for women because it is so easy to assume the attitudes of the world around us in both.  Immodesty, tight clothing, revealing clothing have become the order of the day.  We are brainwashed into the world's idea of "beauty" while ignoring God's standard for true femininity and modesty.  The speech that used to be labeled as "befitting a sailor" is now accepted of men and women alike.  I was convicted.  Am I dressing for the King of Kings or for the attention and acceptance of those around me?  Do I sound like a woman, or do I slip into "sailor" mode?  Are my words sweet in content and tone?

Psalm 19:14
Let the words of my mouth,
and the meditation of my heart,
be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD,
my strength, and my redeemer.

What I find acceptable will determine my actions?  I think that it is unacceptable to have a foul smelling house.  It is not always easy to fix this problem, but the smell of last nights slightly burned breakfast just had to go this morning.  So my action - simmer some water with orange peels, cloves, and cinnamon sticks!  Oh it smelled so yummy and my house was "acceptable" again!  If I so readily stick to my man-made standards, should I not be quicker to conform to the standards set before me by my Lord.  It is not my standard that matters, but His!

BTW - The breakfast recipe was a hit, we just didn't scrape the bottom of the pan where it got a little overdone.  In fact, hubby asked for it again tonight!

1 comment: