Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Easy Preparation

I managed to fill today with profitable activities.  I typically have a mountain of laundry after the weekend (and especially in the heat and humidity we have been enjoying) which was tended to early.  The tomatoes needed attention again (9 more pints preserved for the winter).  Monday has become my cleaning day with all of the rooms we use daily being cleaned.  This afternoon I had some kid-sitting to do so I got some crocheting done as well as some time to think about next weeks Sunday School lesson while the kiddos napped. 

On a busy day, it is nice to have a meal that is relatively easy to prepare.  This one fits the bill - the cook time is long (if you use brown rice), but it can be prepared early and then just stuck on the stove when you are ready.  I prepared the ingredients before I left to kid-sit and then it was ready to go when I returned home.  This recipe was actually a gift from one of my sister-in-laws and is a regular around here.

Spanish Rice with Beef

2 T vegetable oil
1 c uncooked regular long grain rice
1 med onion chopped (1/2 c)
2 1/2 c water
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1 small green pepper chopped (1/2 c)
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 lb ground beef, cooked and drained

1.  Heat oil in 10 inch skillet over medium heat.  Cook rice and onion in oil about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until rice is golden brown and onion is tender.

2.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low.  Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.

* Note - I skip step one.  I brown the pepper and onion with the beef and then bring everything to a boil together.  Because I use brown rice, I have to simmer for 50 minutes.  For a more economical dish, substitute black beans for the ground beef.  I usually serve this with tortilla chips!

No comments:

Post a Comment