Pages

Monday, July 2, 2012

Cool Kitchen

It has been rather quiet in the kitchen for the past few days and looks like it will for the rest of the week.  I will be watching for a morning to bake some white bean cupcakes, but I am not holding my breath.  With temperatures at or exceeding 100* and the a/c struggling to keep up, I am not doing much cooking.  We have had a lot of grilled meals as well as cool salads.  Tonight I am going to do homemade "Hamburger Helper." 
Chili-Mac Skillet

1 lb ground beef
3/4 c chopped onions
1 - 15 1/2 ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
(I will use black beans because that is what I have)
1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 - 7 1/2 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
(I will use fresh from the garden)
1/2 c elbow macaroni
(mine will be brown rice elbows)
1/4 c water
1 - 4 ounce can diced green chili peppers, drained
2-3 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 c shredded cheese

In large skillet cook meat and onions till meat is brown and onions are tender.  Drain.

Stir in beans, tomato sauce, undrained tomatoes, uncooked macaroni,
water, chili peppers, chili powder, and garlic salt. 
Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat. 
Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or till macaroni is tender, stirring often. 
Sprinkle with cheese.  Cover and heat about 2 minutes more or till cheese is melted. 
Makes 6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment