- Typically my offertory selections are the hymns that run through my mind throughout the week.
Since we have been out of the sanctuary,
- we haven't been having an offertory
so I have had more time to dwell on the words of
- ABIDE WITH ME.
You can hear the arrangement here as performed by the composer.
- It's themes include God's presence and help,
God's changeless nature,
- God's grace,
- God's guidance,
- God's comfort in and victory over death,
- God's salvation.
Abide with Me
- Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;The darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide;When other helpers fail and comforts flee,Help of the helpless, oh, abide with me.
- Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;Earth’s joys grow dim, its glories pass away;Change and decay in all around I see—O Thou who changest not, abide with me.
- I need Thy presence every passing hour;What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s pow’r?Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be?Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.
- I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness;Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory?I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.
- Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies;Heav’n’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.