Pages

Monday, January 1, 2018

Welcome 2018!

Happy New Year!

Welcome to 2018!

I just love fresh starts,
the blank slate,
the expected time to reassess.

Many people choose a word for the new year.

I have in the past.
Contentment in 2012
Dependence in 2013
Consistency in 2015

This year, my mind keeps returning to 2 words.

Recharge ... and ... Refocus

Recharge

The past year, maybe more, has been wearying.
For many reasons, I feel drained and empty.
Partly because this "people pleaser" has let people down this year - 
though necessary sometimes, it is still a drain (and also a burden that I should not carry).
Partly because I have taken on too much.
Partly because I have given and not sought out a source or sources to be refueled.
Partly because I took ministry that was without personal contact and interaction.
Partly because I have let many times with God become stale or perfunctory.
Partly because I have lost some focus.

Refocus

Over the past year, maybe more, I have not felt challenged to grow.
I have not seen (possibly my own fault) a challenge from others.
I have not experienced others living an example before me that left me feeling challenged 
to be better, to do better, to grow.

When I married, hubby was memorizing books of the Bible.
He challenged me and we learned numerous passages and books together.
I also give the example of my Fitbit.
When I got my fitbit 2 years ago, my goal was 10,000 steps a day.
Sometimes I was running around at 8:45 trying to get those last 2,000 steps before bed.
When hubby got a Fitbit in May, suddenly I had a challenge, someone to push me.
Now my goal is 13,000 and I really want to see 20,000 a day!
I needed the challenge!

In my desire to refocus,
I want to be challenged and have felt that challenge in recent days.
I am seeing friends and family excited about God and growth with God.
I am hearing people quote Scripture from memory.
I am hearing reference to facts and history and things that I should or could know if I put in the effort.

I am challenged to have ...
an eagerness to arise early and spend time with God,
a return to Bible memory,
a discipline to read beneficial books to stretch my mind,
a return to learning a language with hubby,
a focus in my ministry choices,
a concerted effort to ask for feedback so that my ministry is meeting the desired goal,
more personal contact in ministry.

What does 2018 hold?

I really don't know.
We are still in a place of searching,
a place of begging God for His direction,
a place of moving with the anticipation of an open door or even a closed door.
I may not know what the future holds,
but I want to grow in 2018.
I want to learn from others
and I want to be an example in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment