Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

Beans

Well, I said that I was going to attempt Black Bean Brownies and a White Bean cake last week.  I did just that. 

Hubby was leery of the brownies but gave me the green light to give them a try.  The first night he said that he could still taste the beans, but by the next day, he said that I could make that recipe my go-to for brownies.  They are great because they require NO flours of any time which brings the cost down in a wheat free/gluten free house.  They also substitute for a protein bar since they are full of protein and fiber from the black beans.  Many websites did warm to let the brownies sit for 24 hours so that they would lose their "bean" taste.  The hard part is not desiring a warm brownie right out of the oven!

I made the cake on Saturday night and we enjoyed cupcakes yesterday for dessert.  Right out of the oven, they were sweet with no icing.  I think they were better the next day when they dried a little.  The cake was very moist and dense, but we both agreed that the cake was primarily a good carrier for delicious icing:)  I found a recipe that used NO flour but did call for coconut oil (available at Walmart, but a little pricey) and honey for sweetener.  We have some in our church with wheat and dairy allergies and these would meet that need.

I am not going to list the recipes because they ABOUND on the Internet and each one has a little quirk that might suit you more than another.  If you are interested just GOOGLE IT.  These recipes would be perfect options if you are entertaining someone with an allergy and do not want to invest in pricey flours or flour mixes.

No comments:

Post a Comment