Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Adventurous Cooking

I am sure it would not be adventurous to most, but avoiding wheat and gluten is surely stretching my cooking skills and causing me to cook a lot more.  It is a cool day today.  The house was mid-50's this morning when we got up.  It was only supposed to reach a high of 58 outside today.  I figured that it was a good day to roast a turkey for supper.  I got the turkey in the oven and then began the debate ... potatoes, brown rice, or stuffing as a side.  Usually that is a no-brainer for me.  I would just rip open a bag (or two) of Pepperidge Farm Stuffing and you would only see my ankles as I dove in!  But alas, Pepperidge Farm will no longer do.  I had myself convinced to have potatoes, when my taste buds said ... "you can't have turkey without stuffing!"  So I quickly mixed up a batch of cornbread and pursued the new adventure of making REAL stuffing. 

The dinner was delicious.  Hubby was excited at the "feast" when he arrived home from work.  The stuffing was not hard and tasted good as well.  I appreciated all the leftovers for this week and some in the freezer as well. 

Funny story from the weekend:
Hubby and I woke a little earlier than usual on Sunday.  Hubby was teaching Sunday School and preaching both services, so we needed a little extra time.  I had also promised him some fresh pineapple, orange, mango juice with breakfast.  After juicing, I took the compost out to the newly dug garden.  While I dumped the pulp and peelings, a little bird flew into the house.  I think that it was more startled than we were and was eager to get out.  It didn't take TOO long to get the little bird out, but it did eat up much of that extra time!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandra! How about a black bean peanut butter cake? My cousin (one time removed) has this and many other "unusual" recipes on her blog http://herheartathome.blogspot.com/ My baking daughter thought it sounded good and wanted to try it!

    Her health and eating info is probably okay, but she does write about other things that I would not totally agree with.

    Oh! It occured to me tonight while making a birthday cheesecake for your brother, that it was gluten free! Well, my crust wasn't, but you could figure out how to do that gluten free. Yum!

    ReplyDelete