Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Embrace of Grace


Since I spent the past day and a half primarily lying flat on my back, I had a LOT of time to read.  I don't usually have a lot of books around, but hubby had received a book at graduation, so I picked it up.  It was a quick read and I enjoyed it.  The Embrace of Grace by Caleb Thompson was penned from a prison cell in TX.  Caleb was arrested and prisoned for agreeing to the discipline of a child.  The book stresses that without trials and difficulties, we would never fully know the grace of God. 

"Without the choice mercy of affliction, without the grace of a thorn that Father gives, we would miss many of the blessings of scripture.  We could not have a personal acquaintance with many of the promises if we never faced the circumstances for which the promise was given.  Pleasure fails to interpret the scriptures to our souls, and we cannot understand their comfort until affliction expounds upon it.  We fail to prize God's Word and hardly know it until trials press upon us.  How would we know 'the Lord i my refuge' if a storm never threatened our vessels?  How would we recognize the Lord as our 'Strong Tower' without being assaulted by the enemy?  How would we know him as our 'Refiner' if we hadn't been through the fires?  How would we know him as the 'Potter' if we had never been pressed out of measure?  How would we know him as our 'Comforter' if we never felt sorrow?  How would we know him as the 'Great Physician' if we didn't experience pain?  How would we know him as our 'Guide' if we understood all things without perplexity?  How would we know him to be our 'Strength' if we were never weak?  How would we know him as 'the Lifter up of mine head' if we were never cast down?  How would we know him as 'Our Father' if we never felt his chastening rod?"  pp. 76-77

The book was a great encouragement to me.  I am also happy to report that I am about at 75% mobility today!  Yeah!

1 comment: