Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Forget "Me First"

It is a common idea in the Bible, but a hard one to practice.

"Look not every man on his own things,
but every man also on the things of others."
Philippians 2:4


While considering the next aspect of the virtuous woman in Proverbs 31, the two ideas seemed to connect.  As a simple meal of Biscuits and Sausage Gravy elicited rave reviews, I realized that the next trait is one of humility and selflessness.

Proverbs 31:12
She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.

Sure, I could come up with a list of ways to "do good" to my husband.  Do I make his favorite meals?  Do I wear clothes that please him?  Do I praise him at home and in public?  Do I refuse to speak ill of him to others?  Do I keep discipline in the home as he would like, or wait for him to exercise the "tough love"? 

I think that all of these ideas would be a great start, but there is no way to list all the ways that I can "do good" to hubby.  The thought to remember is that I put his feelings, his desires, his likes and dislikes ahead of my own.  I should not belittle hubby to compete for the sympathy of the other women.  I should not throw him the discipline of the children, the house work, the laundry, etc. just because I am tired.  Doing good to hubby is work - but the rewards are endless.  Try it for yourself - whether your work is recognized by hubby, or simply by God - the blessings will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment