Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Speak Another Language

No, I am not going to challenge you to join me in learning Greek and Hebrew.  Aren't you relieved!

We are under a week until Valentine's Day!  I just love that holiday.  I love the decorations, the sentiments, the focus on expressing love.  I know that there are those who despise "being told" when to express emotion, but I think of it as more of a reminder to get back on track if I have lost some ground.  I treat New Years the same way ... I can make resolutions year round, but I have the added push and reminder with the change of the calendar.

You have most likely heard of the 5 Love Languages.  While I do not support Dr. Chapman and his ministry, I do think that his explanation of the 5 languages can help people in their relationships.  It did not take long to realize that my hubby and I had different love languages and yet it is fun to see that after nearly 10 years they are becoming more and more alike or we are just becoming more fluent in each other's language.  If you haven't heard of the love languages, they are:

Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Receiving Gifts
Acts of Service
Physical Touch
While hubby does not care about receiving gifts, he show love by giving gifts.  He is one of the most giving people I know.  He definitely has a soft spot here.  He loves to receive quality time.  He doesn't want to simply talk while I clean or do dishes - he wants undivided time and attention.  Me ... I think that I speak "Acts of Service" most fluently.  I love to "do" for others.  I think that I am a bit greedy on the receiving end ... I crave words of affirmation, quality time, and physical touch.

So why think about these things.  There are many who can't do the extravagant for Valentine's Day.  Maybe the budget won't allow a fancy meal out, or 2 dozen roses in a vase, or even the most glittery card ... but, you can learn a new language.  Why not think of 5 gifts that would touch each aspect of love?  Write a love note and tell why you love your sweetheart.  Clear your calendar for an evening.  Give a homemade gift.  Do something for you loved one - clean the car, wash the dishes, straighten the unruly catch-all.  Express your love in touch ... a hug, a kiss, a hand on the shoulder.

Are you up for the challenge?
It is really not that hard. 

*** *** *** *** ***

BTW:  This is Post #500!

1 comment:

  1. Happy 500th post! At my rate of posting, I should get there around the time I retire.

    ReplyDelete