Pages

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Baking Blitz

I mentioned earlier in the week that we are attending a wedding tonight.
It is in a beautiful college chapel,
and I am imagining with a 6:00 pm start time that it will be candlelight.

I did not mention that I am baking for the reception dinner.
144 + corn muffins!
Since we have food allergies,
I am making them gluten and dairy free.
But, if you know anything about gluten free baking,
it is typically best to serve it fresh ...
so they will all be made today.

The dry ingredients have been ready since Wednesday.
- 7 double batches -


Time to add the wet and get baking!

2 comments:

  1. Sandra, could I have your recipe for the corn muffins? We were asked to bring corn muffins to a shower. Even though we were told there would only be 2 (out of 100) gluten free people, we thought we might find a recipe that has been tried and other gluten free people like :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is my go-to recipe

      1 c g-f flour
      1 c cornmeal
      1/2 c sugar
      1 1/2 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp baking soda
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/2 tsp xanthan gum
      1 c buttermilk
      1/4 c butter, melted
      2 eggs
      (I also like to add some real corn for added moisture)

      Mix dry and wet separately. Stir together. I like to leave it mixed for awhile - it rises and gets a lot lighter (due to the buttermilk). Bake 350* for 20-25 min. Cool in pan 5 min. Move to wire rack.

      If you buy some brands of g-f flour, the xanthan gum may already be included. GF baked goods do not last well - it is best to make as close to serving time as possible. Heat before serving if possible.

      Delete