Pages

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Loving children

I am looking out at a sunny day today.  Yesterday it snowed much of the day, but it was too warm to stick.  I do love to see the snow when it is here, but SUNSHINE is my favorite type of weather.  I am still in my workout attire.  I did a step workout this morning.  It is one of the "sweatiest" workouts I do and only requires a simple step.  I love that I can put in my own music and enjoy the workout.  When hubby and I moved to NC, we were a little disappointed that we would no longer have a gym to use.  The military gave us a gym membership as a "perk" of the job and our former apartment complex also had a stationary bike and treadmill in a basic workout center.  The aerobic step is GREAT!  It is simple, it can be hidden under the sofa and it is great to build aerobic strength and leg muscles (usually my calves are crippled the day after a step workout).

Titus 2:4-5
"That they may teach the young women ... to love their children."

The third requirement of a woman is to love her children.  I admit that I write this as an outsider, but also as one with experience as an educator.  The author of Created to Be His Helpmeet starts the chapter reminding wives that loving their husband is the best way to love their children.  As an outside observer, I can often see mothers who "love" their children at the expense of their husband.  Unfortunately the children and their "needs" come first to the point that the husband is ignored or relegated to 2nd, 3rd, or 4th place.

The second point to loving children is teaching them and keeping them engaged in life.  I loved studying and participating in early childhood education because of the natural interest that children have in gaining knowledge.  I love the "Why's" of a young person,  I love their desire to learn so as to gain independence, I love the bright look as discoveries are made.  As an educator for 6 years, there was a distinct difference between children when they first stepped into my classroom at age 4, 5, or 6.  Some arrived at school and knew all of their letters, their colors, how to color, how to cut, about their health, about animals ... you get the picture.  Some unfortunately were merely babies in a 4-year old body.  Why the difference?  It was not because of preschool, or even natural ability.  It was the amount of time that their parents had spent with them.  (Note: I am not infering that slower children with mental or physical challenges are not properly love and challenged by their parents.)  This is not a "play all day" mentality that prevents a mother from completing household duties, but family involvement.  Teaching can occur all day, every day - counting the number of spoons for the table, sorting colors for the laundry, cooking with wholesome ingredients and explaining why, working in the yard weeding, pointing to letters as books are read and enjoyed together, explaining muscles as we exercise.  Care of children is a full-time job and not one to be delegated to others, to a television, to a video game, or even to loving baby-sitters.  Are you up to the challenge? 

As an additional thought of my own, we also show love to children with boundaries and standards.  Do your children know what to expect each day?  There is peace in knowing where the "line" is.  Is there a set time to wake, to go to sleep?  Are there tasks to be done upon rising in the morning?  Is there an expectation of "excellence" in school work?  Are there consequences when expectations are not met?  The hard part of this is that it requires parental discipline - if I am not disciplined to rise in the morning, how can I expect this of my children?  If I do not make my bed upon rising, my expectations are hypocritical. 

If you have been blessed to be a mother, will you show obvious love to your children today? 

1 comment: