Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm Back - Hopefully

It is back to routine today.  Hubby is off to school and we are ready to push to the end of semester #3.  We had a good Spring Break - it wasn't quite what we planned, but not in a bad way.  We accomplished much and enjoyed a little relaxation.  Hubby had time to prepare to preach yesterday and I worked on some new (and old) projects.  This week brings yard work.  The lawn mower is full of gas and is waiting to attack the lawn tomorrow or Wednesday.  The broccoli and cabbage plants will be transplanted this week.  I think I have killed a few of the cabbages, so I may be trying some direct sowing (I am still learning a lot about gardening).  I am not too back-logged with housework since I had all day Thursday and Saturday to clean and organize for the week.  I actually have a menu plan this week, so things should go better - I was flying by the seat of my skirt last week.

There is a Turkey thawing in the refrigerator.  It will make a few meals this week - turkey, soup, pot pie, sandwiches.  I love turkey.  But tonight, our nephew is coming over and I am going to make Baked Chimichangas, maybe a corn/bean salad, and some guacamole. 

Baked Chimichangas

2 1/2 c shredded cooked chicken breast
1 c salsa
1 small onion, chopped
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano
6 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
3/4 c shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 c chicken broth
2 tsp chicken bouillon granules
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 c fat-free half-and-half
1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies

In nonstick skillet, simmer first 5 ingredients until heated through and most of liquid evaporates.  Place 1/2 c chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla; top with 2 T cheese. 
Fold sides and ends over filling; roll up.  Place seam side down in a 9x13 pan coated with nonstick cooking spary.  Bake, uncovered at 425* for 15 minutes or until browned.
In a saucepan, heat broth, bouillon, and pepper until bouillon is dissolved.  Combine flour and cream until smooth; stir into the broth.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in chilies; heat through.  To serve, cut chimichangas in half; spoon sauce over top.

For my weight-watching readers, 1 chimichanga with 1/3 c sauce equals 423 calories.  Choose a corn or wheat tortilla (they are a little harder to work with) and you will save some calories and pack more fiber.  Serve with raw vegetables dipped in salsa and it makes a great dinner.  Just let the rest of the family have the chips and guac.

No comments:

Post a Comment