Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Working on freezer meals

I am really trying to be more efficient with my time and a better steward of the resources that God has given.  Recently, hubby has been struggling with food again - a combination of food allergies and stress - and so I have to take more effort in cooking well.  I have heard much about a rotation type diet that helps with food allergies and decided to start working on a plan to help hubby with his breakfasts - not eating the same food within the space of 4 days.  Not too hard for breakfast.  Hears what we came up with ... hot rice cereal (I like this because I can make the rice anytime during the day) ... PB&J Smoothie ... Pancakes (made up and frozen) with fruit or syrup on top ... and frozen breakfast burritos.  Hubby loves the last idea and it is hard to keep him on the rotation when he knows that these are in the freezer.  I like all these ideas, because they free up my morning for making lunches or for getting started on the days laundry.  These are also great, because there are no leftovers to tempt me to overeat or to change my plan for the day.

Here is the breakfast burrito recipe.
12 eggs scrambled in 2 Tbsp butter
1 lb sausage browned
1/2 c salsa
2 c cheese
12 burrito size tortillas

This is flexible because you could add different meats (bacon, ham), add hash browns, add vegetables (green pepper, onion, mushrooms).  Mix all ingredients, except tortillas.  Fill tortillas with 1/2 c filling.  Fold in ends and roll up sides.  Freeze.  Reheat at 350* for 30 minutes or microwave for 1-3 minutes.  Much cheaper than meals found in the freezer section at the store and a lot less preservatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment