Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Spiritual Thermometers

I Timothy 3:11
Even so must their wives be ...
faithful in all things.

There are many thermometers given in the Word of God to show us where we need to improve.  For example "By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples if ye have love one toward another."  Love is a trait of a Christian.  The verse at the head of the blog is a description of the character required of a deacon's wife.  It follows the list of qualifications for a pastor and for the deacons.  We have met many a pastor and church member who believe that these are merely suggestions and that no man or woman can attain to these goals.  I personally believe that they are qualities that all believers should hold and that those in authority should be modeling these qualities as the standard.  I have been challenged by a group of ladies who are endeavoring to lose weight.  Why challenged?  Well, I have always seen weight loss as a strict diet, as a new exercise program, as a punishment for my poor eating choices.  I am challenged because it is more than that ... it should be a repentant action as I acknowledge my poor eating or overeating as sin.  The pastor is required to be temperate in Titus 1.  Temperance is the virtue of one who masters his desires and passions, especially his sensual appetites.  Ha! it is just the pastor, right?  No, it is also a fruit of the spirit (Galatians 5).  Therefore, if I am not mastering my lust and desire for food ... it is sin and not an evidence of a spirit-filled life.  The deacon's wife is to be "faithful in all things."  She is to be trustworthy and objective.  Am I a faithful, trustworthy steward of the body that God gave me? (I Cor. 6:19-20 applies to all believers)  So I am working on being a faithful steward of the gift of life today, this week, this month ... and I hope that you will too.

I will also be working on typical household chores today.  3 loads of laundry are quickly drying outside, I need to make some more liquid laundry detergent, the sweet tea and homemade gatorade pitchers need refilling, I am working on crocheting a baby blanket, there are always Sunday School worksheets to prepare and music to practice for church.  I best get going.  ... TTFN (Ta Ta For Now)

No comments:

Post a Comment