Pages

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Southern Cooking

I had my first real experience with this southern veggie this week.  Yes, I am a yankee and this vegetable is not familiar.  You may not recognize it without breading or sitting on a buffet in a southern college lunch line or a Ryan's Buffet.  It is okra.  I had to research what to do with this treat when we were given 2-3 servings from one of hubby's coworkers.  Of course, I knew that it is often breaded and fried, but that was not going to happen in my kitchen or added to a gumbo which did not sound great on a hot day.  I read that it tasted like asparagus which I like to saute with a little oil and lots of garlic, so I made it that way.  It was really good and truly similar to asparagus which I currently have no room for in the garden.  Maybe I will have to research what kind of plant it grows on and make room for it next year.

Well, it is Saturday and I am late getting started.  It is "Clean-y Day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment