Pages

Friday, November 15, 2013

Friday Forum: Discipline

I recently started cleaning out some church book shelves.
This week, I was posting a series of books to sell on Ebay.
They were 3 books for women about discipline.
Disciplines of the home, of the heart, of a godly woman ...

Discipline ... a tough word to swallow.
Children fight it and unfortunately, I do as well.

I know a few people who are tremendously disciplined -
those people who do "first things first"  ...
and I know more people like me who battle through daily.

There are many disciplines to practice in my life -
clean home,
healthy eating,
regular sleep,
daily prayer and Bible reading,
exercise,
Bible memory,
blogging,
music practice,
yard care ...

I must admit that the hardest discipline for me is that of Bible memory.
It demands time ... and the ultimate focus.
It is not a multitasking activity.
It demands consistent review.
I am still working on this discipline.
I have found that if I combine it with fitness walking,
the memory goes better.
Yet there is still the discipline to combine the two!

What disciplines are you working on?
Have you found a way to help a common 
"problem discipline?"

3 comments:

  1. The best trick I have found for discipline is accountability. Working together with someone else to encourage and challenge. We are doing a church challenge in the new year to help with the discipline of Bible memory and reading. The challenge is to read through the Bible (A book a week - more with smaller books) and pick a verse out of each book to memorize, and review throughout the year. It is a little intimidating, but we hope the accountability will help it along as we check in on Sunday evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Accountability Partner - sounds like another Friday Forum topic ...
      Your plan does sound rough (especially Isaiah in a week) - but God is able. It is good to get the flow of the larger books by reading through them quickly.

      Delete
  2. I echo the call for accountability. I add the note that when I see my "lack of discipline" as sin in need of grace, instead of just "who I am" --> Then I open the door for the Holy Spirit to use scripture to convict, I repent, and with my new thinking from God I get victory over areas of no discipline. I am by no means the example, but I have seen the power of God do just.

    ReplyDelete