Pages

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Prudence

Proverbs 19:14 
House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: 
and a prudent wife is from the LORD.

The challenge of prudence.

pru·dent  adj.
          1. Wise in handling practical matters; exercising good judgment or common sense.
          2. Careful in regard to one's own interests; provident.
          3. Careful about one's conduct; circumspect.

I want to be a prudent wife.
As I meditated on this verse,
some of the verses surrounding the verse
were a challenge to me.

Proverbs 18:15 
The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; 
and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.

If I am going to be prudent,
I need not fear knowledge.
In fact, I need to be ever learning ... seeking truth.

Proverbs 19:11 
The discretion of a man deferreth his anger; 
and it is his glory to pass over a transgression.

In this verse, "discretion" is from the same Hebrew root as "prudent" in verse 19:14.
If I am going to be prudent,
I need to practice self control.
I need to be willing to be selfless ...
to forgive and forget.

Proverbs 19:15 
Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; 
and an idle soul shall suffer hunger.

Though not specifically mentioning prudence,
this verse reminds me of one aspect of prudence.
A prudent wife is diligent, not lazy.

Plenty to think about ...

No comments:

Post a Comment