Pages

Friday, November 1, 2013

Friday Forum: Balance

The longer we remain in one location,
the more it seems that our life fills with ministry and activity.
Some busy weeks are filled with "highs" - the joy of seeing changed lives, including my own.
Some hectic weeks, my flesh just wants to move -
to walk away from it all or to retreat to the mountains for a week or two.
Some weeks there are great burdens,
other weeks there are such encouraging events that the weight is lessened.


We regularly evaluate what is taking our time.
What should be cut?
What can be streamlined?
Can some jobs be delegated?
Should some ministries be changed?
Is the family life suffering?
Am I too focused on "me" time or on the desires of others?

To help with balance, in the past year,
I have instituted a monthly meal plan with a mix of freezer meals,
 easy meals, and more intensive recipes.
I try to spend the whole day at home at least 3 days each week.
We try to have one "date" each week - 
often this is a trip for a #5 - grilled at Chick-fil-A, a long walk,
or just an hour or two to talk one evening a week with no other distractions.
We try to exercise at least 3 days each week to keep our minds sharp and our bodies healthy.

I know that there are many ministry families that read this blog regularly.

How do you balance the responsibilities of home and ministries?
How do you evaluate the value of your activities?
How do you know when there is just one activity too many?

While this post was still waiting to be published,
God showed me that He helps to balance too.
I felt slightly overextended yesterday
which involved a trip to Charlotte (an hour away) ...
the appointment was cancelled :)
...only the hand of God!

2 comments:

  1. I missed that this was a question. Or maybe I wanted to ignore the question part because most often the tyranny of the urgent overwhelms things. Evaluation would probably be a helpful tool. The tough part for me is that sometimes the least yrgent (where I am least needed) are the things I enjoy being involved with more than some of the things where I am most needed. (sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly struggle with emphasizing the "fun" over the "necessary."

      Delete