Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Donut Day!

Will you humor me again?  It is donut day!  8 years ago was our first date and it was to a local bakery for donuts and coffee.  It included my brother and his family including 10 day old baby George :)  We will be celebrating today with of course ... a donut.  I imagine that hubby is glad that he chose donuts rather than a large seafood meal!

"That they may teach the young women to be sober ..." Titus 2:4

In Created to be His Helpmeet, we are now to the list of eight behaviors that should belong to all wives and mothers and that should be passed down from woman to woman.  The author defines to be sober in this way: "to do one's duty, be moderate, self-controlled, thoughtful, and to learn to make wise decisions and judgments."  When I married, my career changed drastically.  I was no longer living for myself or for a class full of students and their parents.  My career is now to please, serve, and care for my husband and my home.  I need to have the same dicipline in my home that I had in the classroom, desiring to be that best in my role that I can be.  Part of my job is to create a clean home, a peaceful "haven" that hubby loves to come home to, and meals that are healthy and pleasing.  To me, this chapter underscored self discipline.  I think that it is easy to get lax and lazy in my responsiblities in the home because there are few deadlines and little outside evalution or job performance ratings.  Hubby is very gracious and encouraging, but could I do more with the time that I have each day?  Hubby works hard ALL day at school or work and I should do no less in the home.  I think of the many times that I pushed through the day as a teacher because I "had" to be at school, but how many times do I take a day off in my home.  The author summarizes the chapter with these thoughts: "A good help meet establishes a haven of rest.  She will adjust to her husband's time schedule and eating habits.  She will relax and enjoy her family, instead of worrying and fretting."

2 comments:

  1. Nothing better than a yummy donut...
    :P
    ...occasionally, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy date anniversary to you guys. : ) Thanks for the encouraging posts. I really enjoy reading them all though I don't always comment. I appreciated today's encouragement to be diligent. It's a lesson I have to frequently come back to, and a reminder is definitely good.

    ReplyDelete